Serves 4 Preparation 10 Minutes Cooking Time 45 Minutes
I love a homemade ragu sauce for a bolognese and this is one of my favourite ones. The green lentils replace the meat part wonderfully. It is a real stick to your ribs hearty sauce which is what is needed for these cold months. It is also very healthy and protein-packed too with lots of great veg and pulses. There is a rich tomato sauce but also a burst of tomato flavour from the cherry tomatoes. A great family meal.
- 1 large onion finely dropped
- 2 sticks celery finely chopped
- 2 large carrots finely chopped
- 3 large
- cloves of garlic
- 100g chopped chestnut mushroom sliced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 400g can plum tomatoes
- 180g cherry tomatoes (or tin cherry tomatoes)
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (vegan and gluten-free)
- 1 vegan stock cube
- 1 can of green lentils drained and rinsed
- 100 ml vegan red wine
- 300ml water
- In a large deep saucepan add the olive oil and heat up. Once hot add the carrots, onion, celery and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes until slightly softened and then add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the red wine and the rest of the ingredients apart from the green lentils.
- Cook on low heat for 30 mins until it has reduced and thickened, add the green lentils and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Serve with either spaghetti sprinkled with some vegan parmesan or stirred through pasta, sprinkled with vegan cheese and place in an ovenproof dish for 15 minutes at 180C