- Preparation Time 10 Minutes
- Serves 2
Vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, nut-free and dairy-free
For me, when the sun is out there is nothing better than a nice salad. Salads do not have to be boring, gone are the ones from childhood. No floppy lettuce with just some tomatoes, cucumber and beetroot.
Now, salads can be vibrant, crunchy and flavourful, taking ideas from around the world.
It is a time to celebrate the bounty of produce from summer.
Foods eaten in their season are at their tastiest. This dish is light and so refreshing, I always want seconds of this. It is one of my perfect salads for any occasion.
I made this one with Violife feta style cheese but will be adding my recipe for feta cheese soon.
This is my take on a vegan Greek salad, containing
- Red onion
- Red pepper
- Vegan feta
It is then drizzled with a zingy garlic and herd vinaigrette
- 1/2 Tbsp of red wine vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic thinly sliced or grated
- 1/2 Tsp of dried oregano
- Ground salt & pepper
- 2 Tbsp virgin olive oil or organic rapeseed oil
- 200g of vegan feta cheese in chunks or crumbled, either homemade or shop-bought
- 1/2 red pepper de-seeded finely sliced
- 200g of selected coloured tomatoes halved
- 1/2 green pepper de-seeded finely sliced
- 1/2 cucumber cut into chunks
- A handful of Kalamata olives or olives of your choice
- 1/2 a red onion thinly sliced
- A few sprigs of Green basil chopped
- In a small bowl add the garlic, red wine vinegar, oregano, oil and salt & pepper. Whisk together and set to one side.
- In a large shallow bowl/ serving dish carefully arrange the cucumbers, peppers, onion, baby tomatoes and olives.
- Drizzle over half of the vinaigrette, add the feta and then drizzle over the rest of the dressing. Sprinkle over the basil.
Serve with an opened pitta bread or in it.
If you want to make it a more substantial salad then why not cook 150g of dry weight pasta, once it is drained and cooled slightly toss through the salad. If you want to add some protein to bulk it out, then it is lovely served with some crispy fried tofu or chickpeas.
- Smoky Red Lentil & Carrot Soup
- Soft Gluten-Free Bread Rolls
- Hearty Vegetable & Ale stew with Dumplings
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Peach Melba & Hazelnut Crumble Cake
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on Twitter as @veganalchemist1 or my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thegfveganalchemist I love seeing your versions of the recipes. I would love to hear your comments too.