Serves 4 Preparation Time 15 Minutes Cooking Time 20 Minutes
This has been my favourite soup for a long time and is one of the few I rotate when the weather becomes bitterly cold. I normally make a double batch so I can have plenty in the freezer all ready for when I come in from the cold.
I prefer it chunky and hearty so it feels more filling with some grated vegan parmesan cheese and a chunk of fresh bread. You can always blitz half of it if you prefer it like that.
A thermos flask full of this hot soup is great to take when running the dogs on the beach in Winter, it really is a hug in a mug.
With a touch of heat provided from the red chilli along with a little warmth from the ground coriander and cumin can provide some much needed internal thermal heating.
If making for children just temper the heat and spice to their need
- 1 Large white onion finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli with seeds removed
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 stems of celery
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 small courgette finely chopped
- 180g dried red lentils
- 1.5 litres of vegetable stock using 2 vegan stock cubes or gel pots
- 1.5 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- salt and pepper to season
- Freshly chopped coriander
- Spray a large deep stockpot with oil or use 2 tsp oil. Once hot add the onions, chilli, garlic and celery. Saute for around 5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Next, add the carrots and courgette and cook for a further few minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, tomato puree, cumin and coriander and mix thoroughly.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil, Once there turn down the heat to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and taste, adjusting the seasoning if needed.
- Serve piping hot with some freshly chopped coriander.
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on twitter as @veganalchemist1 or my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thegfveganalchemist I love seeing your versions of the recipes. I would love to hear your comments too.