Serves 5-6 Preparation Time 10 Minutes Cook Time 30 Minutes
This gorgeous dish is probably at the top of the list of dishes people think they have to miss out on when becoming a vegan. This recipe proves that one of the best-loved comfort foods can still be enjoyed.
I wanted to make the classic version but with a slight twist, hence the addition of pesto. I am always trying to find a way to incorporate vegan pesto into my meals as I love it. This works so well.
Pasta meals are always a favourite. They also do not suffer if gluten-free pasta or sauce are used. This is real comfort food. I love it with some extra vegetables on the side.
- 250g mixed tomatoes
- 400g spiral or macaroni pasta, gf if needed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp plain flour, gluten-free if needed
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- 500ml dairy-free milk
- vegetable stock cube dissolved in 125ml boiling water
- 5 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 tbsp green pesto
- 100g vegan cheddar
- 25g vegan parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/ Gas mk5. Line a baking tray with parchment. Slice the tomatoes and arrange cut side up on the tray. Sprinkle with a little salt and cook for 10 minutes.
2. While they are cooking, then cook the pasta according to the packet instructions until they are al dente, drain and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a saucepan, then add the finely chopped onion and garlic. Cook over low heat for about 5 minutes. Next, add the mustard and nutmeg and plenty of seasoning.
4. Add the flour and mix well and cook for a few minutes to cook the flour out. Slowly add the milk until you get a smooth consistency and then mix in the stock, yeast flakes and pesto.
5. Tip the pasta into the sauce and mix in until all the pasta is coated with sauce, pour it into a 2.5-litre ovenproof dish. Scatter with half the cheese and stir in. Place the cooked tomatoes on top and scatter the remaining cheddar and parmesan cheese on top. Bake for 20 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Broccoli and spinach Pesto
- Pesto and mozzarella tart
- Triple chocolate American cookies
- Double Peanut cookies
- Blueberry and lemon Muffins
If you like this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Twitter as @veganalchemist1 or my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thegfveganalchemist Iwould love to see seeing your versions of the recipes from the blog. All your comments and suggestions are welcome.