- Serves 4
- Preparation Time 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time 25 Minutes
Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy-free, Gluten-free
There is nothing more satisfying than a steaming bowl of creamy mash potatoes,especially if carbs are your thing. The ultimate comfort food that warms you from the inside out.
Sometimes though it is nice to switch it up a bit and add something a little different to elevate this simple potato dish.
If you love pesto like I do then you will love this. I have tried spinach & walnut pesto and the classic basil pesto in this recipe, I do like the latter better I must admit.
It makes a gorgeous dinner when pared with some tasty vegan sausages, fresh peas and some oven roasted tomatoes.
- 600g of floury potatoes such as King Edward or Maris Piper, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 60g dairy-free butter
- 2-3 Tbsp of vegan single cream or milk
- Freshly ground salt & pepper
- 20g of pine nuts
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 4 Tbsp dairy-free pesto, homemade or shop-bought
- If you are using homemade pesto then make it first. This link will take you to a classic vegan pesto recipe.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and then add your potatoes to it. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for approximately 15 minutes until they are fork tender but not to the point that the potatoes are breaking down.
- While cooking place the pine nuts into a dry frying pan and gently toast them for a few minutes. Keep a close eye as they burn very quickly.
- Drain the potatoes into a colander, then place them back into the pan over a low heat for a couple of minutes until they are completely air- dried.
- Heat the cream or milk and butter in a small pan or in a jug in the microwave until the butter just melts. Do not boil.
- Mash the potatoes and then add the cream mixture, stirring in with a wooden spoon until creamy and smooth, season to taste. Turn into a serving dish.
- Spoon the pesto over the top and then gently stir through. Sprinkle the toasted pine nuts over the top and drizzle over the olive oil if using.
This with some nice vegan sausages and some vine oven-roasted tomatoes is an absolute delight.
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on twitter as @veganalchemist1 or my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thegfveganalchemist I love seeing your versions of the recipes. I would also love to hear.
Other potato & pesto recipes of mine