Makes 9 Preparation Time 15 Minutes Cooking Time 35-40 Minutes
Carrot cake is the only cake that I really resist making, the reason being is that it is my absolute favourite cake to eat. Although this version is both vegan and gluten free it certainly did not disappoint. I tested it on friends who are not gluten free or vegan and they loved it.
It is packed with spice, nuts and fruit, that with the carrot produces a very tasty and moist cake. Topped with a zesty cream cheese icing made for moreish mouthfuls.
- 250g self raising flour, I used Dove farm gf self-raising
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 200g grated carrot
- 190g caster sugar
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 160g chopped walnuts
- 50g sultanas
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- zest of 1 orange
For the cream cheese
- 225g cream cheese, I used Violife
- 86g dairy free butter
- 460g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- zest of 1 lemon
1 Preheat the oven to 180C/ Gas mk4 and line a 23cm baking tin with baking parchment.
2. In a large bowl sieve together all the dry ingredients such as flour, spices and baking powder.
3. Add the orange zest, grated carrot and raisins. Mix the ground flaxseeds with 6 tbsp cold water and leave to one side to thicken.
4. Next add the oil, vanilla and apple cider vinegar and combine thoroughly before adding the flaxseeds and walnuts. Pour into the tin and bake for 35-40 minutes.
5. Once ready place on a cooling rack until completely cool and then cut into 9 equal pieces.
While it is cooling it is time to make the delicious frosting. Place the ingredients into a bowl and mix together, then whisk together until creamy. Refrigerate for 15 minutes before using and then pipe a large swirl onto the top of each piece.
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on twitter as @veganalchemist1 or my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thegfveganalchemist I love seeing your versions of the recipes. I would love to hear your comments too.