Makes 12 Preparation time 30 minutes Cooking time 20-25 minutes
I love a sausage roll and they are my perfect buffet finger food. Not for me though just the sausage meat and pastry, although they can be good too. I like to jazz mine up with mustard, mushrooms and caramelized onions. Since Sainsbury’s shroomdogs hit the shelves I have been dying to make the perfect vegan and gluten-free sausage roll for Christmas. I hope you like these.
- 1 pack of vegan and gluten-free puff pastry, Just Rol is a good one.
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 6 medium mushrooms finely chopped
- sprig of thyme
- 1 pack of vegan sausages, I used Love Your Veg shroomdogs from Sainsbury’s
- 2 tsp dijon mustard or multigrain mustard.
- 2-3 tbsp of soya milk
- If your sausages have skin on then remove that and mash-up in a bowl and add the thyme leaves only, chopped finely
- Place your chopped onion and mushroom in a frying pan with a little oil or dairy-free butter and cook down until the onions are a light golden brown. Then place to one side to cool down.
- Preheat your oven to 200C and line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Unroll your pastry on a board and divide it into two strips horizontally. Spread the mustard along the middle of each strip.
- Once the onion and mushroom mixture has cooled down add it to the mashed sausages and incorporate them fully.
- Divide the mixture into two and make it into rough sausage shape and place along the pastry, leaving a little gap on the edge to seal them.
- Brush the edges with milk and fold over each one, making sure you seal the edges. Score with a knife diagonally along the top of each roll.
- Brush the tops with soya milk, if you want a little colour you could add a tiny sprinkle of turmeric into the milk. You could also sprinkle them with poppy or sesame seeds.
- Then cut into smaller sausage rolls. I divided each into 6. Place onto the baking tray and cook for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
If you like this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on twitter as @veganalchemist1 or my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thegfveganalchemist I love seeing your versions of my recipes. I would love to hear your comments too.