- Preparation Time 20 Minutes
- Cook Time 35-40 Minutes
- Serves 4-6
Vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free
Autumn time brings forth an abundance of beautiful produce, perfect to make some hearty comfort food and desserts. The one I love to cook with is a gorgeous crisp apple. They are so versatile and can be used in sweet or savoury dishes. One of my all-time childhood favourites is the apple crisp/crumble. Served warm with lashings of creamy custard, It was a staple made by my father at tea time every Sunday at this time of the year.
The difference between apple crisp and crumble is mainly the topping. The crisp has a more streusel top, made with the addition of oats. I prefer this to the flour, sugar and butter one, as to me it is less dense and provides a better crunch. This one is
In fact, everything you desire from a cold-weather dessert and a perfect end to any meal, I prefer mine on its own sat snuggled up on the sofa surrounded by my many candles.
While it is certainly not a healthy dessert, I like to convince myself that at least it has apples and oats in it. Plus a little bit of what you fancy occasionally is what makes life feel good.
I have made this also with gluten-free plain flour and to be honest it makes no difference to the taste and texture.
- 140g plain flour
- 200g light brown sugar
- 100g jumbo oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 152g very cold dairy-free butter such as Vitalite
- 3 large apples such as Granny Smiths (peeled, cored and thinly sliced)
- 50g dairy-free butter melted
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 55g light brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 175C and lightly grease an 8×8 inch baking pan or an ovenproof dish of similar size.
- In a large mixing bowl add all of the topping ingredients apart from the butter. Mix them until they are all combined
- Take the cold butter and add to the dry ingredients in small pieces. With your fingertips then rub the butter into the flour until it forms small crumbles, place into the fridge until you make the apple filling.
- In a bowl whisk together the melted butter and flour until well combined, then mix in the lemon juice, vanilla extract, and water. Add to that the brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt and mix well.
- Add the apples to the oven dish and pour over the butter mix, toss the apples in it until they are evenly coated.
- Remove the crumble topping from the fridge and sprinkle it on top of the apples, making sure to get an even layer.
- Place in the preheated oven on the middle shelf and bake for 25 minutes and then check. If it is browning too much then lower the temperature slightly for the last 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly before serving.
Delicious served with some vegan ice cream, caramel sauce or custard.
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on twitter as @veganalchemist1 or my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thegfveganalchemist I love seeing your versions of the recipes. I would love to hear your comments too.