I was blown away when I started cooking with king oyster mushrooms. I cannot tell you what pulled pork tastes like as I have never eaten it. I just knew I wanted something different and filling in my tacos. I wanted to share taco nights with the rest of the family, without adding meat substitutes.
These mushrooms are quite large with a thick “meaty” white stem ending with a small cap. They are not the easiest mushrooms to find in supermarkets but they are well worth the search.
The way you can shred these mushrooms is pretty remarkable. They have the appearance of shredded chicken once raw, but the mushrooms act like layers of sponges soaking up any flavours you add to them.
Like tofu, they do not have a strong flavour but they do soak up flavours remarkably. They are also using sliced into rounds to represent vegan “scallops”
This is an easy and quick recipe to do but which it delivers a huge flavour bomb. A great relaxed family meal for the weekend.
This recipe was made to use with tacos but you could use it in dishes such as
- Bao buns
- Sloppy joes
This is not a pulled pork replacement but a delicious plant-based recipe in its own right. Something to be loved by meat-eaters and vegans alike.
This plant-based ingredient is not only loaded with vitamins D and B and are low in calories. They contain potassium, selenium and copper. For this recipe, I used king oyster mushrooms. This was because they shred so easily. You could also use a combination of oyster, chestnut or Enoki mushrooms for this recipe.
These are very easy to find vegan. If you are a coeliac or have a gluten intolerance, make sure you choose the gluten-free ones.
For this recipe you need smoked paprika and not sweet.
This is entirely your choice, my choices include
- Sour cream
- Grated cheese
- Red chillies
There are so many good vegan sauces out there you can use. I love Biff’s chipotle BBQ sauce with lime, Bullseye smoky chipotle and Skeeters.
Chipotle BBQ King Oyster Mushroom Tacos
- Preparation 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time 30 Minutes
- Makes 4 Tacos
Vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free and soy-free
- Using some paper towels wipe any surface dirt from the mushrooms. Preheat the oven 200C/ Gas Mark 6
- Remove the caps and leave them on one side. Place the mushrooms on a board and using a fork score deep grooves along the length of the mushrooms, this enables you to pull the mushrooms apart using your hands. You want long thin strips as shown in the photo. Thinly slice the caps and add to the slices.
3. Place all the mushrooms in a deep bowl and then add the oil, paprika, salt, garlic, lime juice and onion powder. The next step I find is best done with your hands. Toss and gently rub through the oil and spices until the mushrooms are all coated.
4. Spread them onto a baking sheet lined with baking parchment and place them into the oven on the middle shelf. Bake for 20 minutes until the mushrooms are a little crispy at the edges.
5. To a heavy-based frying pan add a little oil and heat, once hot add the mushrooms and the chipotle sauce. Saute in the sauce for 3 minutes to allow the mushrooms to soak up the sauce. The mixture should be thick and sticky now. Add the black beans to the mushroom mix and warm the tortillas in the microwave or air fryer for a few minutes. It is now ready to pile onto tacos and load it with delicious toppings and finish with a squeeze of lime.
I like to serve mine with a side of tortilla chips with a few crunched on the top.
- Cranberry & Apple Hot Cross Buns
- Tried & Tested February/March 2023
- Lemon and Garlic Tofu Nuggets
- Cheezy Chive Scones
- Chocolate & Pistachio Brownies
If you like this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Twitter as @veganalchemist1 or my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thegfveganalchemist I love seeing your versions of my recipes. Or I would love to hear your comments.
( I receive no renumeration for any products I have mentioned)
That looks delicious
Oyster mushrooms are great 🙂 Also, hello colleague. I hope to post some nice recipes in the same genre soon 🙂
I would love to see your recipes
Welcome to https://allergician.wordpress.com 🙂 Added for instance a pancake recipe with a vegan option which I am quite satisfied with. More will come!