I love pie, yes I know they are not deemed to be the most healthy option. If they are enjoyed once in a while, then what’s the harm? I love the way you break through the crisp golden pastry into a rich, hearty and steaming filling.
This pot pie has such a dark brown gravy that you do not associate it with vegan food. It is
I grew up on different types of pies, like so many people. My mum was a fantastic pie maker. This is my vegan and a
gluten-free nod to her steak and kidney pie, although next time I will use my shortcrust pastry recipe for the lid. This recipe makes a big family pie. I normally freeze half of the filling. You do not need the full 2 packs of rolled puff pastry for the large pie. I would say about 1 and a half packs.
Can I use a slow cooker or instant pot to make this?
This recipe does need the initial frying of the vegetables. If you are using a slow cooker, I would transfer it into it before you add the ale. I would let this cook overnight and then if need be thicken it before you place it in the oven,
With an Instant pot you can saute enabling you to cook it entirely in there. I would use the stew function after you finish frying.
Either way the pastry has to be cooked in an oven, I have not tried cooking pastry in an air fryer as yet.
Can I freeze this recipe?
If you are going to freeze this recipe, I would freeze the cooked filling on its own. Either in individual portions or one lot.
Fake Steak & Ale Pie
- Preparation Time 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time 1 hour 50 Minutes
- Makes 2 medium or 1 large pie
Vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, egg-free and dairy-free
- If you are using a frozen fake meat alternative, then defrost this.
- Using a large deep pan add 1 tbsp of dairy-free butter. Turn onto medium heat, and once melted, add the mushrooms and season and cook for around five minutes on a medium to high heat until they take on a lovely rich colour. Colour is important in this pie, as this results in gorgeous rich gravy. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and place onto a plate for later
- Next, do the same with the onions, celery and carrots. Fry on low heat for around 15 minutes, adding the garlic a few minutes before the end.
- Next, add the tomato puree, yeast extract and flour. stir and fry for a few minutes. Add the ale, thyme, bay leaves, stock, brown sugar, liquid aminos and your “meat” alternative. If you are using vegan gravy granules, you can add them now.
- Simmer for approximately 15 minutes, until the sauce has thickened and then add the mushrooms back in and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- While this is doing preheat your oven to 200C
- Pour into your chosen pie dish and cover with the pastry top, trim off any excess pastry and crimp the edges. Make slits in the lid or add a pie funnel into the dish so steam can escape and brush with the plant-based milk and turmeric mixture. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
What we need
The fake steak
There are varying views on the use of fake meats. At the end of the day, it is a personal choice. Also, it depends on any food allergies or preferences. I will give you a few options for you to see what’s available. For myself, it has to be gluten-free too.
- Quorn steak strips Vegetarian and gluten-free contains egg white
- Oumph the chunk Gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian contains soya
- Seitan Vegan Vegetarian contains wheat
- Jackfruit vegan, gluten-free, vegetarian and soy-free
- Tvp soy chunks Vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free contains soy
Chestnut and Portabello are great mushrooms to use in this recipe
In past times it would have been Guinness. Although this is now vegan, it is not gluten-free. If you are looking for an ale that is both vegan and gluten-free, then I have listed a few below
- Gluten-free Brewdog ale vegan and gluten-free IPA
- Butcombe Gold golden ale vegan and gluten free
- Saucery session IPA vegan and gluten-free
If you do not have this to hand, then just use a light soy sauce or tamari
- Vegan Cottage Pie
- Smoky Red Lentil & Carrot Soup
- Soft Gluten-Free Bread Rolls
- Hearty Vegetable & Ale stew with Dumplings
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on Twitter as @veganalchemist1 or my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thegfveganalchemist I love seeing your versions of the recipes. I would also love to hear your comments.