Soup sometimes can seem a little boring, but these warm little hugs in a bowl have a time and a place. Although this simple soup is really quick to cook, it is also hearty, healthy, budget-friendly and very filling
Red Lentils are not as high in fibre as other legumes, they do though contain plenty of great nutrients such as vitamins B6 and B1 plus zinc and potassium. A great reason to include them in a vegan diet.
Unlike most lentils, there is no soaking required for the red variety. Thirty minutes is all this soup takes from pot to bowl. Quick enough for a super tasty lunch.
Soup is also a great lunch to take to work with you, much cheaper than buying it. This one will provide you will energy until you are ready for dinner time.
Nothing else needs to be added apart from maybe some vegan parmesan, a crusty piece of buttered bread or maybe some crispy croutons.
This is a super economical tasty soup to make. It freezes so well that you could make double the recipe.
This also could be made in a slow cooker.
- Red lentils 1kg £1.83
- Pack of 4 garlic bulbs 0.79p
- Carrot 1.5kg imperfect carrots £58p
- Celery 250g 85p
- 1 onion 20p
- Vegetable stock pack of 12 £1.75
- Smoked paprika 95p
- Cumin 100g £1.15
- Tomato puree 1 tin 35p
Total cost £7.60 This is if you have to purchase everything. Some of the ingredients you will already have in your stock cupboard. These ingredients will also provide you with more than you need and plenty left to cook the recipe in a few batches of this gorgeous soup. This recipe will give you 4 portions.
Costing at the time from Tescos. Other supermarkets could offer a much better deal.
Carrot & Red Lentil Soup
- Finely chop the onion, celery, and carrot and wash and drain the lentils.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and then add the onion, plus a pinch of salt & pepper, turn down to low heat and let the onion cook for up to 10 minutes. You do not want to colour the onions, you want them soft and translucent. Add the carrot, crushed garlic, celery, tomato puree, red pepper flakes, smoked paprika and cumin.
- Next, add the red lentils and season again, Bring to a boil and then to a medium simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- How you like your soup depends on your next step.
You can either blend all the soup for a smooth soup or remove half of the soup and blend the remainder, then stir both together. This time I wanted smooth. Either way, it is delicious.
- Enjoy piping up with some croutons or crusty bread and some vegan parmesan.
, please don’t forget to tag me on Twitter as @veganalchemist1 or my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thegfveganalchemist I love seeing your versions of the recipes. I would love to hear your comments too. Feedback is so important.