In my mind, there can never be enough cookie recipes. I love both the crispy and the chewy recipes but this type is definitely my favourite. Crispy on the outside but with a lovely chewy centre. These have the added bonus of both having chocolate chips and a hint of coffee running through them.
Total Chocolate Heaven
These little beauties do not hang around in the biscuit tin long enough to get stale. Mind you these taste at their most perfect fresh from the oven ( well that’s my excuse). Cool enough to be able to pick them up but melty enough to be a calorie nightmare.
I have played around with so many vegan chocolate chip cookie recipes over the last few years, to me, you never get a bad one just ones that take it up a notch and these are those.
My preference is to use chopped chocolate instead of chocolate chips but either will do or a combination of the two. There are so many good quality milk and white vegan chocolate available now.
2. Cocoa Powder
For these cookies if you can use the dark Dutch style cocoa powder rather than the lighter one. This is because for me the rest of the cookie is so sweet. You want to look for either Dutch cocoa or Alkalised. The usual one will work fine, it is just a matter of preference. I buy mine from Amazon.
3. A little Tip
Once the cookies come out of the oven all warm and gooey then it is a good time to add extra chocolate. Simply press some more chocolate pieces into the just-baked cookies. Not only does it ramp up the taste factor it makes them look fabulous.
4. The flour
If you are not coeliac or gluten intolerant then just replace the flour with regular plain flour.
Double Choco Mocho American Cookies
- Preparation Time 20 Minutes
- Baking Time 16-18 Minutes
- Makes 16 large cookies
Vegan, gluten-free, vegetarian and nut-free
- 200 g dairy-free butter
- 200 g light brown sugar
- 175 g gluten-free plain flour
- 1 tbsp Camp coffee or 1.5 tsp coffee extract
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of fine salt
- 50 g of cocoa powder
- 75g of vegan white chocolate chopped
- 75g of vegan milk chocolate chopped
- In a large bowl using an electric whisk beat together the sugar and butter until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour, Camp coffee, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder, and mix until smooth and well combined. Next mix in the chocolate.
- Preheat the oven to 180/160 Fan or gas mark 4 and line 2 large baking trays with baking parchment
- Using your hands or large spoon divide the mixture into 16 rolled balls. Place these on a lined plate and place in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. If you have enough room in your fridge you can place the balls straight onto lined trays.
- Making sure your cookies have enough room to spread on your trays, place the first tray into the oven for 16-18 minutes or until browned and starting to crisp.
- Once out of the oven, give your tray a few gentle taps on a hard surface. This gives your cookies that crinkly molten appearance. Leave on the tray until cooler and then transfer to a wire cooling rack. Repeat with the second tray.
- Once totally cool place into an airtight container.