Bake well tart has its roots firmly planted in English history, a well know tea-time or high tea delicacy and popular confection. Consisting of a shortcrust pastry shell spread with jam and then topped with a layer of delicious frangipane finished with flaked almonds. It is a variation of the Bakewell pudding which originated in the 1860s from the town of Bakewell in Derbyshire. Purists would say it should be left unadorned except for a light scattering of toasted flaked almonds. Whichever way you prefer it, it will always remain a firm favourite.
With its crisp, short and buttery pastry case the perfect receptacle to hold the soft gooey frangipane.
A dessert my family love.
I had a few attempts at veganising this tart, I first used aquafaba but I wanted something with more body. I had made some vegan condensed milk for a recipe and had some left so I thought I would try it along with some soya cream. I was very happy with the results.
Another idea that worked was using Cracked vegan egg liquid, just replace the the vegan condensed milk with equal measures of that.
I made this one both vegan and gluten-free. Not one person noticed or missed the eggs. It was polished off with relish.
- Preparation Time 25 Minutes
- Cooking Time 25 Minutes
- Chill Time 30 Minutes
- Serves 6-8
This makes 2 x 15 cm tarts
Vegan, gluten-free, vegetarian and egg-free
- 360g Plain flour (gluten-free if needed)
- 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum
- Pinch of salt
- 165g Dairy-free butter
- 80 g Ground almonds
- 1 flax egg or 30ml of CRACKD vegan egg replacer
1 flax egg = 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed plus 3 tbsp of hot water. Mix and let stand for 5 minutes
- 150 g of gluten-free plain flour
- 250 g Ground almonds
- 160 g caster sugar
- 220 g of cold plant-based butter
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Almond essence
- 80 ml Plant-based single cream
- 160 g of vegan condensed milk either shop board or homemade using full fat coconut milk and maple syrup.
- I would recommend Carnations vegan condensed milk if you choose to buy it.
There are lots of recipes online to make condensed milk, I will put my recipe up in time.
You will also need 3 tbsp raspberry jam, 2 15-cm loose-bottomed tart tins lined at the bottom with baking parchment. If you do not have ceramic baking beans you can use dried beans or rice.
Instead of the circular tart, I sometimes use 2 of the ones below which are 36 x 12 cm.
- Preheat the oven to 200c
- For the pastry in a bowl place the flour, ground almonds and dairy-free butter. Rub together gently or use a pastry cutter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the water a little at a time and with your hands bring it together until it forms a ball. This can also be done in a food processor.
- Roll out on a floured board to slightly larger than a tart tin and then lift carefully into the tin. Press in around the sides and then gently prick the bottom with a fork, not right through the pastry.
- Cover the pastry with a sheet of baking parchment and fill it with baking beans.
- Place into the oven for 10 minutes, remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Turn the oven down to 175C
- Once cool, remove the baking beans and then spread the base with your favourite jam.
- For the frangipane, together in a large bowl combine the softened butter, sugar and vanilla and almond extracts until fluffy. You can do this by hand or with an electric mixer. Add in the vegan condensed milk and milk and whisk again. Next, add the dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Spread the frangipane mix over the jam and spread out evenly.
- Place into the oven for roughly 25 minutes, when pierced with a skewer it should come out clean.
- You can leave it left like that with a scattering of toasted flaked almonds or once fully cooled cover with a simple glace icing made by mixing 200g icing sugar with 2-3 tsp of water. Add the water a little at a time until you have a thick spreadable icing. cover the top of the tart and sprinkle with
- flaked almonds and decorate with glace cherries.
- Artisan Gluten-Free Bread
- Creamy vegetable soup
- Carrot & Red Lentil Soup
- Fruity Rock Cakes
- Creamy Vegan Chicken & Mushroom pie
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on Twitter as @veganalchemist1 or my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thegfveganalchemist I love seeing your versions of the recipes. I would love to hear your comments too.