Ahhh the taste of mocha, how would I describe it? Well to me it means coffee + chocolate all rolled into a delicious flavour. These started as an idea for coffee cupcakes, they then morphed into an idea for using a mochaccino flavour instead.
I am not a fan of coffee cake but I adore coffee, although mocha cake hits the mark for me.
A delicious crumb with a moist but chewy texture,
I tried these on my favourite non-vegan and gluten eating Guinea pigs and they declared them an absolute triumph. They are rich as they should be. Can one really be enough?
These are simple to whip up as made in one bowl and mixed with a wooden spoon. No electric mixer or special equipment needed.
Can these be made with gluten-free flour?
The majority of my cakes can be made using a gluten-free flour and this is no exception. I would recommend using a good quality flour such as Dove Farms.
Mocha Chocca cupcakes
- Makes 12
- Preparation Time 15 Minutes
- Baking Time 20-25 Minutes
- 160g plain flour, all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum if you are using gluten-free plain flour
- 170g caster sugar
- 40g cocoa or cacao powder
- 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 200ml soy or almond milk
- 1 1/2 tsp coffee dissolved in 50ml hot water, or 50ml espresso
- 175ml light oil such as sunflower, vegetable or rapeseed
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 255 of softened vegan butter
- 750g of icing sugar
- 30g of cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp of coffee granules
- 45ml of hot water
- Pre-heat the oven to 145C and grease or line a muffin tray with 12 paper muffin cases.
2. Sieve together the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Next, whisk together the wet ingredients and add to the dry using a balloon or electric whisk. Make sure you fully incorporate all the flour. The resulting mixture should be quite thick and glossy like melted chocolate.
3. Pour into a jug or use a ladle and fill the tray or cases halfway up.
4. Bake in the preheated for around 20-25 minutes, test after 30 by inserting a skewer into the muffin. if it comes out clean they are cooked. If there is any mixture on the skewer bake for another few minutes.
5. Once out of the oven after 10 minutes remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack. Once you are waiting for them to cool whip up the ingredients for the buttercream.
- Broccoli and spinach Pesto
- Pesto and mozzarella tart
- Triple chocolate American cookies
- Double Peanut cookies
- Blueberry and lemon Muffins
If you like this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Twitter as @veganalchemist1 or my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thegfveganalchemist Iwould love to see seeing your versions of the recipes from the blog. All your comments and suggestions are welcome.