- Makes 6
- Preparation Time 5 Minutes
- Cooking Time 5 Minutes each
This recipe is so easy and very quick to make. No yeast is required for this, just self raising-flour and an added tsp of baking powder.
These crispy flatbreads are the perfect accompaniment to serve with curry, chilli or bolognese to mop up or dip in the sauce.
Also, they are perfect to use as a pizza base. I now keep a few in the freezer at all times for a quick meal.
Can I make them gluten-free?
Yes, these are very easy to convert, you need a good brand of gluten-free self raising-flour. Although most gluten-free self-raising flours contain xanthan gum, I still like to add an extra 1/4 tsp to the flour.
How long do they keep for?
Although these are at their best eaten fresh they will keep for around 3 days in an airtight container. They will not be as crispy but will still be delicious. You can freeze for 3-5 months in an airtight bag. them. To warm them up, Place them them on a baking tray and place in a hot oven for 10 minutes. If using it as a pizza base just add the toppings and bake.
You can freeze the dough but I rarely do as it is so quick to make.
You can also add different flavours to this recipe such as
- Finely chopped fresh coriander
- Garlic powder or minced garlic
- Finely chopped fresh chilli
- Onion powder
- Finely chopped fresh chives
- 300g of self-raising flour
- 300g of vegan Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp of chilli flakes
- 1/4 tsp of ground coriander
- Sieve together the flour, salt and spices into a large bowl and add the yoghurt.
- Mix together until it forms a ball, either with your hands or a round blade knife. If it’s too sticky add a little more flour and if too dry add some more yoghurt. Knead briefly.
- Divide the dough into 5 and roll out each piece into a rough oblong or naan bread shape, it does not have to be perfect, rustic works well.
- Place a frying pan on medium to high heat and spray with a little oil. You do not need to add much oil at all, which is why I use the low-calorie spray.
- Carefully lift up and place one gently place one into the hot pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and puffed up. Place into a clean t towel and cook the rest.
- Serve either warm or they can be frozen and defrosted and warmed at a later date.
- Nutella style cupcakes
- Apple and cinnamon rolls
- Baharat spice mix
- Quick cook falafels
- American style pancakes
PS: If you like this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Twitter as @veganalchemist1 or my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/146887870900498 I love seeing your versions of my recipes and I love hearing your comments.