- Preparation Time
- Cooking Time 45 Minutes
- Serves 2-4
Vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, nut-free and egg-free
This recipe is a sure-fire winner and a great way to ramp up the flavour profile of the rather bland and humble cauliflower. Forget the overcooked version of this vegetable we have probably all been served at one point in our life.
We have all heard of buffalo chicken wings but this vegetable version of the dish is so easy to make and makes a fabulous side. In my opinion you do not miss the chicken because the crumb and spicy sauce is what makes this dish
Cauliflower florets are dipped into a spicy batter and coated in crispy breadcrumbs if that is not enough they are then coated in buttery hot sauce. They come out of the oven crispy on the outside with a soft melt in the mouth middle. Served with a side order of tangy ranch dressing and your taste buds will definitely thank you.
This is a side dish but to be honest I could quite happily have these with a crisp green salad or a bowl of them to myself.
You will not regret giving these bad boys a go. They will also be a sure fire winner at a BBQ.
- 1 large whole head of cauliflower cut into small florets
- 100g plain flour, gluten-free if needed
- 150ml dairy-free milk
- 50ml water
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp English mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 75g dried breadcrumbs, gluten-free if needed
- 200ml hot sauce, I used Franks Redhot buffalo wing sauce
- 120ml melted dairy-free butter
1. Preheat the oven to 185C
2. In a bowl add the flour, milk, water, spices, and seasoning. Whisk and combine well to form the batter, making sure the flour is fully incorporated.
3. In a separate bowl add the breadcrumbs
4. Add the cauliflower to the batter mix and toss it until it is fully coated. Take a few pieces at a time and add to the bowl of breadcrumbs, roll and coat each piece thoroughly.
5. Once they are all coated transfer to a lined baking sheet and bake for approximately 20 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and mix together the melted butter and hot sauce and pour over the breaded pieces, rolling around to make sure everything is coated in sauce. Place back into the oven for a further 20 minutes until they are soft in the centre and golden brown.
7. Serve while still hot with a dipping sauce such as vegan Ranch or Ceasar dressing. This serves 4 is using as a side or 2 if using as a main meal.
- Dreamy pumpkin cupcakes
- Cookie dough cookies
- Pesto tofu fingers
- Getting to grips with gluten-free flours
- Protein packed gluten-free bread
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on Twitter as @veganalchemist1 or my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thegfveganalchemist I love seeing your versions of the recipes. I would love to hear your comments too.