- Serves 4
- Preparation Time 20 Minutes
- Cooking Time 35 Minutes
Vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free,
I love this time of the year, most of all I love the available food. The bare skeletal garden of the winter is now gone. It is now lush and green. The fruit bushes are heavy with berries and other produce like beetroot, new potatoes, spinach, onions, tomatoes and lettuce are starting to push through.
As for me me, I love new potatoes that appear in the shops right now. With their papery delicate skins and waxy flesh. They just need a quick wash, no peeling required.
In my opinion, the king of new potatoes is the Jersey Royals. Grown on the island of jersey for over 140 years. They are available between March to July.
For this recipe, you need to use a waxy potato such as Anya, Cornish Kings, Jersey Royals or Charlotte potatoes.
Crushed new potatoes make a wonderful side dish! These new potatoes are boiled until they’re soft and tender, then baked in the oven with all the seasonings. Full of those delicious crispy edges and fluffy insides.
- 16-18 waxy new potatoes
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Coarse sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp of herbed pesto, homemade or shop-bought
These are so delicious with a roast or as a side at a BBQ. Quick and simple to do. You could also add some crushed garlic cloves if you want.
- Preheat the oven to 200C / fan 180C
- Wash your potatoes and if needed give them a gentle scrub. Place them in a pan of cold salted water with some salt. Bring to the boll and then turn it to a gentle simmer. Cook for around 10 minutes until they can be pierced easily with a knife.
- Strain them and let them air-dry for 10 minutes.
- Place them in a roasting pan and crush each one using the base of a mug or glass. Drizzle with olive oil and season.
- Place into the oven and cook for around 20 minutes, remove from the oven and drizzle over the pesto, adding a little water to thin it if necessary.
- Place back into the oven for 10 minutes and remove when golden and crunchy. Serve hot.
This is a link to my recipe for basil pesto https://theglutenfreeveganalchemist.com/portfolio/1classic-vegan-pesto/
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on Twitter as @veganalchemist1 or my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thegfveganalchemist I love seeing your versions of the recipes. I would love to hear your comments too.
Leave a Reply