- Makes 25-30 Cookies
- Preparation Time 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time 15 Minutes
Vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free
There are so many recipes for chocolate chip cookies you will find one on nearly every baking blog. There is a reason for this, to me, this is because they are so good
My first experience of chocolate chip cookies as a child was the Maryland ones. I remember taking a packet to bed one night and got caught about because of the crumbs. We normally had rich tea or Nice biscuits in the house so these were a treat. I did not taste ones with peanut butter until I made them for my children. They have since become my favourite biscuit.
Cashew & chocolate cookies
I have said in the ingredients to use either chocolate chips or chunks, I have done both today and chunks seem to have got the vote. Get a bar of nice vegan chocolate (and gluten-free if need) and chop it into small chunks. Yes, they all have to go in but it is very hard to resist the odd chunk.
I have taken this recipe a little further and added something I adore which is homemade cashew butter. It is creamier than peanut butter and makes a nice change.
They have a melt in the mouth like texture, not quite as much as a Viennese whirl has but similar.
Kids will love them, adults will love them more so hide them if you do not want to share.
CAN I USE PEANUT BUTTER?
You can use peanut, almond or seed butter for this recipe. Just make sure the one you use is not too thick. It needs to be buttery for it to work. I make my cashew butter but any purchased pure nut butter will work.
Cashew butter does not have the harsh stick to the roof of the mouth texture than peanut butter has. It has a softer looser texture. Very underestimated in my view.
I AM NOT GLUTEN–FREE
If you do not need to make them gluten-free then just use normal plain flour and omit the xanthan gum.
- 250 g of cashew butter
- 110 g of vegan butter
- 200 g of caster sugar
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 190 g of gluten-free plain flour
- 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tbsp of dairy-free milk
- 150 g of vegan chocolate chops or chunks
- 1. In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar, preferably with an electric whisk. Once combined add in the cashew butter and vanilla and whisk again for a few minutes.
- 2. In another bowl add the flour, xanthan gum, bicarb and salt and mix together. Sieve this mixture into the butter one and thoroughly stir in, making sure all the flour has been combined, Pour in the chocolate drops and stir through.
- 3. If the mixture is too thick, then add a little milk of the milk at a time to loosen the mixture. It need to be stiff enough to roll into balls.
- 4. Preheat the oven to 190c and line a baking tray with baking parchment. You probably not be able to cook the full amount in one go.
5. Roll into balls roughly a heaped tablespoon and place a little apart on the baking tray, cook in the middle of the oven for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven but do not attempt to remove them for 10 minutes. Then place them onto a cooling rack and repeat the process until they are all cooked.
- Roasted Fresh Tomato Sauce
- We all Scream for Ice Cream
- Vegan (Tofu) Schnitzel
- “Cheese” and Tomato Tartlets
- Coffee & Walnut Cupcakes
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on Twitter as @veganalchemist1 or my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thegfveganalchemist I love seeing your versions of the recipes. I would love to hear your comments too.