- Makes 12
- Preparation Time 20 Minutes
- Baking time 25 Minutes
Equipment needed; 12 muffin cases, 12 hole muffin tray, an electric mixer if you have one for the cream cheese frosting
I love carrot cake, for this reason, I don’t make it very often as I could simply devour the lot. I thought maybe if they were made in a cupcake form I could be more restrained.
I have been working on some carrot cake cupcake ideas for a few weeks now and I think I have cracked it.
These delicately spiced buns are good on their own but once you add the frosting it takes them to another level. I hope you like these as much as my family and friends did.
Can I make these gluten-free?
I have made these as just vegan and vegan and gluten-free with great success. It is best to use a good quality gluten-free flour such as Dove Farms or Bob’s Red Mill.
- 200ml soya milk
- 4 tsp apple cider vinegar or distilled white vinegar
- 200g self raising-flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g light soft brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 80ml light vegetable or sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 small carrots grated
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- zest of 1 large orange
- 30g of sultanas or finely chopped walnuts
Cream cheese frosting ingredients
- 80g dairy-free butter
- 35g vegetable shortening as in Trex. You could use all dairy-free butter
- 225g dairy-free cream cheese, I used Violife but any will do
- 500g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- 2 tsp lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 175C and line your muffin tray with cases.
2. In a jug mix the soya milk and vinegar and set to one side.
3. In a large bowl add the dry ingredients and stir together and then add the carrots.
4. Next add the milk mixture, oil, vanilla, and orange zest. Fold it all together gently until it is thoroughly combined and then gently stir in the walnut or fruit if you are using it.
5. Fill the cases just over half full and place them into the oven for 20-25 minutes.
6. While they are baking whisk up the cream cheese frosting. Beat together the cream cheese and vegan butter together until it is combined but do not whisk it too much as it will become runny. Add the lemon juice and vanilla extract and then sieve in the icing sugar. Stir together first and then beat until you have a smooth frosting with no lumps. This frosting should be thick enough to pipe.
7. Place in the fridge until you are ready to use it. To pipe a flower design on top of the cupcakes I used a 2D star/flower nozzle. Of course, you can just spread your icing on top if you wish, the taste will be just the same either way.
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on Twitter as @veganalchemist1 or my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thegfveganalchemist I love seeing your versions of the recipes. I would love to hear your comments too.
- Hot & smoky mac n cheese
- Seeded gluten-free bread
- Creamy Vegan Mayonnaise
- Vegan Greek Salad
- My Ultimate vegan Chilli