Preparation Time 15 Minutes
Cooking Time 35 Minutes
Vegan, vegetarian, gluten free and nut-free
Hummus grew on me very slowly, one minute I could not imagine eating it then the next it was my go-to snack. Sometimes being a coeliac vegan can be extremely hard, especially on a day out or on the road. If a shop-bought lunch item is a coeliac then it rarely is vegan, the same the other way around. A pot of hummus and some homemade falafels are easy to carry around and provide a tasty nutrient-packed lunch.
I try and ring the change with the flavours such as beetroot, roast corn and now this one. Spicy and packs a punch and so simple.
Try and remember to save the drained chickpea water, you only need 3tbsp to make some fantastic vegan meringues.
- 1 400g tin of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 large carrots
- A small sprig of fresh thyme and rosemary (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- pinch cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- pinch of harissa or chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 clove of smoked garlic if not plain is fine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1/2 of lemon
- Salt & black pepper
- Splash of water
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas mark 6
- Chop the carrots into baton-sized pieces, drizzle with a little oil and rub the carrots all over and sprinkle with fresh oregano or thyme. Place on a baking sheet with the fresh herbs and 1 of the garlic cloves crushed. Sprinkle with seasoning and cumin seeds and place in the oven to roast for around 35 minutes
- Once the carrots are cooled add them to a food processor
- with the chickpeas and the rest of the ingredients apart from the water. Whizz until the mixture becomes smooth. If the mixture is too thick add a splash of water and blend again taste testing as you go. Bring it to the consistency you prefer with water or a little more oil, also you can adjust the taste to your liking such as maybe a little more chilli flakes.
- To serve drizzle with some olive oil and maybe top with some toasted sesame seeds and roasted tomatoes. This can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on Twitter as @veganalchemist1 or my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thegfveganalchemist I love seeing your versions of the recipes. Feel free to leave your comments too.
- Vegan tofu Kievs
- Lemon & herb crusted tofu
- Creamy mushroom and pesto pasta
- Chocolate orange buckwheat granola
- Banana and walnut cake
Preparation Time 15 Minutes Cooking Time 20 Minutes Serves 4 Vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, nut-free, dairy- free and egg-free I was having one of those weeks, feeling unwell, and sorry for myself, we all have those days when the world just seems too much to cope with and hibernation seems like a great idea. Well,… Continue Reading →
Preparation Time 15 Minutes Baking Time 15-20 Minutes Makes 8 fingers or 16 large nuggets Vegan, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free I feel that I have learned so much about tofu and how versatile and delicious it can be in the last two years. This recipe came out of my love of lemon and thyme combinations. These… Continue Reading →
Preparation Time 20 Cooking Time 15 Minutes Serves 2 Vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, nut-free, soya-free Pasta for me and so many others is the ultimate comfort food. Lovely dishes can be made surprisingly quickly. If I need a dish in a hurry then it is always pasta with pesto. This dish takes that a little step… Continue Reading →