- Preparation Time 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time 35 Minutes
- Makes 8-10
I love sides and I especially love sides that make good brunch dishes. I have never liked the uniformly shaped frozen hash browns that you can buy. For me hash browns should be more than just potato, they should be made from an interesting array of vegetables that you have available. As long as they all work in harmony, then that is the main thing. I call these my loaded hash browns because they are well and truly loaded.
These are great in a vegan brunch with roasted tomatoes, baked beans, mushrooms and maybe some sausages. A couple on their own are great too, dipped in bbq or maybe sweet chilli sauce or even topped with lovely ripe avocados and sriracha sauce. Whatever way you have them, they are quick to prepare and so tasty
They freeze well too, just take them to the step of shaping them, then freeze on a tray for 10 minutes and then wrap up individually and freeze. They cook well from frozen
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 small sweet potato
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 25g melted dairy-free butter
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseeds mixed with 21/2 tbsp water)
- 1 tbsp plain or chickpea flour
- salt and pepper
- 100g vegan cheese grated
- 1/2 mild red chilli (optional)
- a handful of flat parsley chopped
- Low-calorie spray oil
Preheat the oven to 175C and line a baking tray with some parchment.
- Grate the 3 potatoes coarsely, and then place it into a clean tea towel. Wring all the excess moisture out of the potato and add to a bowl.
2. Mix the flax egg and set aside to thicken.
3. Next grate the sweet potato, carrot, garlic, cheese and add to the bowl. Next add the onion, parsley, flour, flax egg, salt and pepper, and melted butter.
4.Stir to thoroughly combine. Place handfuls of the mixture on a tray and using a
round-edged knife to straighten the sides to form rectangles, press down the tops slightly.
5.Place into the oven and spray the tops with the oil. Cook for between 35-40 minutes. Check after 25 minutes to make sure they are not browning too quickly.
Other salads and sides
PS: If you like this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Twitter as @veganalchemist1 or my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thegfveganalchemist I love seeing your versions of my recipes. Or I would love to hear your comments