- Preparation Time 20 Minutes
- Cooking Time 30 Minutes
- Serves 6
Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, vegetarian
Looking out of the window at all the July liquid sunshine battering against the window, I decided that sitting and sunning myself in the garden was not the option so the kitchen it was.
Looking to use up some items from my baking cupboard my hand kept straying to my nemesis a block of marzipan.
I have always hated marzipan, which is funny as I love almonds. This lonely block was leftover from Christmas. I also had some Braeburn apples that needed to be used. I got thinking well apple and almonds to are a good match together. Think was the start of this lovely tart which my family and friends loved. Even I enjoyed a slice.
- Crispy pastry
- Melted marzipan
- Soft apples
- Crispy top
- Light and fresh
This dessert just works so well. It is nice and light after a meal or to have a slice for afternoon without spoiling your appetite, and lovely with some clotted or whipped cream.
I will definitely be trying some more recipes with my dreaded almond paste.
I would not change anything about this recipe, apart from maybe leave the peel on the apple. I also made this with a puff pastry round, just imagine a crispy apple marzipan pizza.
- 1 sheet of ready rolled vegan and gluten-free puff pastry
- 250g of marzipan coarsely grated
- 4 Eating apples halved and cored, such as Braeburn
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 25g of flaked almonds
- 30g soft light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp of dairy-free butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 200C /Fan 180 / Gas 6
- Unroll the pastry and place it on some baking parchment and lay in on a flat oven sheet.
- Mark out a 1 inch border around the sides of the pastry with a sharp knife but be careful not to cut all the way through. This will enable the border to rise and give you a raised crust for the fillings in the middle.
- Sprinkle 200g of the marzipan inside the border, covering the middle evenly.
- Lay an apple halves cut side down on a chopping board and thinly slice. lift up the sliced apple and lay it down on top of the marzipan. Press down gently on the slices so they spread out slightly. Squeeze over some lemon juice. Repeat with the other halves, squeezing lemon juice on them as you go.
- When all the apples are done brush over with the melted butter and sprinkle over the soft brown sugar and the flaked almonds.
- Place into the oven until golden and crispy and the apples are soft.
Utterly delicious served warm with some vegan vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
More dessert recipes
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on twitter as @veganalchemist1 or my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thegfveganalchemist I love seeing your versions of the recipes. I would love to hear your comments too.