So what is Cajun seasoning? Originating from the deep south of Louisiana this rustic spice blend with its smokey undertones is a combination of 9 different herbs and spices.
It can be used to liven up many dishes. Although it is used in many meat dishes, it is equally at home in vegan dishes such as Cajun tempeh, tofu or potato wedges. I also like to add a little pinch to my smokey vegan chilli.
Now, why should we make our own spices mixes? when you can just buy a jar for under £2.00 in any supermarkets spice aisles, row upon row already mixed.
For me, it is about tweaking each spice to suit my personal taste and just making one I really like.
Cajun spice mix
- Preparation Time 10 Minutes
- 24 Servings
Dairy-free, Gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian and nut-free
- 2 tsp of salt
- 5 tsp of smoked paprika
- 4 tsp of garlic powder
- 2 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp of cayenne powder
- 2 tsp of onion powder
- 2 1/2 of tsp dried oregano
- 2 1/2 of tsp of thyme
- 1 tsp of dried red pepper flakes
- Stir together the salt, garlic powder, smoked paprika, black pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano, and red pepper flakes until evenly blended. Store in an airtight container.
- Hot Cross Bun Muffins
- Cranberry & Apple Hot Cross Buns
- Tried & Tested February/March 2023
- Lemon and Garlic Tofu Nuggets
- Cheezy Chive Scones
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on twitter as @veganalchemist1 or my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thegfveganalchemist. I love seeing your versions of the recipes. I would love to hear your comments too.
Leave a Reply